Monday, July 2, 2018

2018 January Taiwan: Kaohsiung


It was my third trip to Taiwan and it was a pretty last-minute one to me. One random day, I was planning to start my revision but I suddenly had this urge to travel so I checked the price for both air tickets and hotel stay, realising that it was cheaper than my previous trips. Hence, I made the decision and confirmed everything within that day. 

As I have visited Taichung, Taipei and Yilan during my previous trips, I decided to tour around Kaohsiung and Taipei this time. Taipei is a must-go as I really like the shopping and convenience of travelling around the area despite that I had been there for a few times. 

Anyway, I finally experienced the cold weather in Taiwan as it was winter (my previous trips were during summer). There was a sudden drop in temperature to 9°C during my trip but it was super shiok!!! I guess the only con to travel during winter was to lug my heavy jacket around, otherwise everything was good as I did not sweat and my face plus hair did not become oily easily. 

Took China Airlines (Taiwan's national airline) because of the price and landing time. It was my first time trying it and their service was good but I was a little disappointed with the facilities as it looked old and the toilets smelt so bad during the flight to Taiwan. I would prefer EVA Air if I am going to Taipei straight as the landing time is quite late.

Accommodation at Kaohsiung

This was the hotel room for my stay in Kaohsiung. Two designs were shown when I booked the room and I requested for this as it looked more comfortable and nice. The room was also quite spacious for two people and it was cheap heh. Anyway, my retarded moment when I wanted to open the room with the card and I was unable to push the door though I scanned the card and it displayed green light... So I attempted a few times, thinking of many possibilities like did I go to the wrong room number, some spooky stuff and etc. Finally, I realised that I had to pull the door instead of pushing it LOL.

A variety of choices was available for the hotel breakfast and there were a few different dishes everyday so I did not get sick of it since I was there for three mornings plus the food was not bad.

光之穹顶 Dome of Light
Address: 高雄市新興區‎中正三路與中山一路口
Metro Station: Formosa Boulevard 美麗島

Happened to be at this train station as I wanted to go Liu He Night Market. I think that this place looked nicer in the picture as compared to reality. 

集盒 Kubic
Address: 高雄市前鎮區復興三路5號
Nearest Metro Station: Software Technology Park 軟體園區 / Shihjia 獅甲

It was a similar concept to the containers in Punggol and Korea. I was there in the morning. Most of the stores were not opened yet and there were less people around, definitely a good timing to take photos. 

駁二藝術特區 Pier 2 Art District
Address: 高雄市鹽埕區大勇路1號
Nearest Metro Station: Sizihwan 西子灣 / Yanchengpu 鹽埕埔

It was quite crowded during the weekend. Besides taking photos, a few exhibitions was held at the area and many families were flying kites too. Despite the crowd, I will recommend to visit this place for the views and atmosphere.

Beautiful flowers along the roadside...

新崛江商圈 Shinkuchan Shopping District
Address: 高雄市新兴区文化路88号
Nearest Metro Station: Central Park 中央公园

This is a popular shopping place among locals and tourists but it was not my type of shopping place for a frequent taobao shopper. I think that I spent less than half an hour over there and left.

大魯閣草衙道 Taroko Park
Address: 高雄市前鎮區中安路1之1號 
Nearest Metro Station: Caoya 草衙

This is my favourite place out of all, I really love the atmosphere! It is a combination of both shopping mall and mini theme park for kids and adults. I did not manage to play any facilities, perhaps I will try it another time.

The mascots were damn cute!!! In the middle of walking around for photo-taking, the female mascot walked towards one of the stalls to buy a drink. I had not seen any mascot doing that since young so it was a bit LOL to me. After that, when I was taking photo with the sheep, the male mascot came over and did some hand signs to take a photo with me.

The place is located near the airport so I got to see a number of planes flying past.

I was there in the late afternoon till the sun set, simply for the night view of the place.

It was much more beautiful in reality, with the water shows and sound effects.

夢時代 Dream Mall
Address: 高雄市前镇区中华五路789号
Nearest Metro Station: Dream Mall 夢時代

I had also experienced the LRT in Taiwan. I guess it was kind of cool as their LRT trains are on normal landing, not at a certain height (similar to their TRA at Shifen but in a smaller scale).  

I like the fact that the malls in Taiwan have huge spaces for different exhibitions or other events to be held. Happened to see the exhibition of SongChuMore this time and it was free admission LOL. 

There is always a merchandise store at the end of an exhibition. I almost wanted to get a pullover because it was reasonably priced but they did not have new stocks so I ended up with a pair of socks hahaha.

春水堂 Chun Shui Tang
Address: Dream Mall 夢時代 1F
Nearest Metro Station: Dream Mall 夢時代

This was the main reason why I visited the mall as I wanted to eat this but there were many food stores on my Taipei list so I decided to go for the outlet in Kaohsiung. I guess the dishes tasted better in Taichung outlet.

Got their red tea too as I had not try it but it seemed to be one of the signature drinks too. Well, it is not my type of tea. Their milk tea is the best heh.

Happened to see SPEXIAL autograph session. Initially, I did not take a look of the event, all I knew was that there was a crowd when I walked past. Then I heard, "So many people, don't know who come." I turned and looked at the banner, waaa so many guys.

And one coincidental thing was that I watched a variety show of 小鬼 appearing with 風田 the night before. Then the next day, I saw 風田 in reality omg lol.

藏壽司くら寿司 Kura Sushi
Address: 高雄市左營區博愛二路777號 (漢神巨蛋 Hanshin Arena 7F)
Nearest Metro Station: Kaohsiung Arena 巨蛋


Did not know where else to go for lunch so I decided to have Japanese food though I was in Taiwan LOL. Kura Sushi was highly recommended by many when I did my research online. The queue was really long when I just arrived at the restaurant as it was peak period. I think I waited about an hour plus for my turn. And there is a specific way to get the plates from the conveyor belt, the waitress briefed and demonstrated while I was in the queue.

I think that the sushi was average, nothing that made me wow.

This is the best udon that I had so far!!! I always prefer sushi over ramen and udon as I think that the soup is oily most of the times. The udon soup might look oily in this photo but it did not taste so. This was so good such that I will want to go back for it another time when I am in Taiwan again.

Another special thing about the restaurant is that the customers will drop their plates into the slot at the side to participate in the gachapon game, every five plates for one chance.

六合觀光夜市 Liuhe Night Market
Address: 高雄市新興區自立二路和中山一路之間的六合二路
Nearest Metro Station: Formosa Boulevard 美麗島


I went to this night market during my first night and it was so disappointing. There were less variety of choices as compared to Ruifeng Night Market that I did not know what to buy after walking one round and the food tasted meh. Perhaps I chose the wrong stalls or food...

瑞豐夜市 Ruifeng Night Market
Address: 高雄市左營區裕誠路和南屏路交叉口
Nearest Metro Station: Kaohsiung Arena 巨蛋


Got 地瓜球 (potato balls) as I remember the one I had at another night market was so fluffy and nice. Sadly, not every stall was able to make good potato balls.

天使雞排 (Angel Chicken Cutlet) is so freaking good that I went to get it again during my last night in Kaohsiung, THE BEST FRIED CHICKEN SO FAR. The chicken was so crispy, juicy and tender. Also, the chicken was well marinated such that the middle part of the chicken still tasted the same as the first bite (usually the middle part will be less juicy and marinated). 101% recommended!

Look at the thickness of the chicken...

This was another food recommended when I researched online, I got 伯爵珍珠奶茶 (earl grey milk tea toast) but it was quite weird to me and it was hard to finish it as the pearls kept dropping out after each bite.

Had 黑糖珍珠奶茶 (brown sugar pearl milk tea) from 鹿角巷 (The Alley) but I felt that it was not as nice as the one I had in Taipei.

便利商店 Convenience Stores
Convenience stores are places that I will go everyday when I am in Taiwan. The variety of snacks and drinks over there simply made me wow. It was the season of strawberry during that period and there was one section filled with snacks and drinks related to strawberry. I wanted to buy one packet of the strawberry-flavoured Lays back to SG during my last night in Taipei. Apparently I totally forgot about it...

There was another section for hot canned drinks and I got the ovaltine for my breakfast as I did not really like the drinks from the hotel. I also tried out two flavours of 萬丹 drinks. Personally, I prefer the red bean milk tea to matcha latte.

No comments:

Post a Comment